Ever since I was a kid, I have always requested an ice cream cake for my birthday. There's just something fun about eating ice cream in a non-traditional form. Instead of a scoop, you get different flavors, and all of the added extra toppings built into one delicious slice of an ice cream sundae. After making this one and realizing how easy it is to put together, and how versatile it can be adapt to your favorite ice cream flavors, I don't think I'll ever buy another ice cream cake again! This one is layered with Oreo's, chocolate ice cream, chocolate caramel sauce, more Oreo's, vanilla ice cream and a final layer of salted caramel sauce! It's rich and delicious and, the best part is, I don't have to wait until my birthday to enjoy it!
- 1 package Oreo Thins
- 1 1.5 qt container chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 1.5 qt container vanilla ice cream, softened
- Caramel Kitchen chocolate caramel sauce
- Caramel Kitchen salted caramel sauce
- Line a 8x8 cake pan with parchment paper so that the ends hang out past the rim.
- Place a layer of Oreo Thins on top of the parchment paper.
- Spread a layer of the softened chocolate ice cream over the Oreos and place in the freezer for 20 minutes to harden.
- Remove pan from freezer and drizzle on a layer of chocolate caramel sauce. Use an offset spatula and spread to evenly coat.
- Place a second layer of Oreo Thins over the chocolate caramel sauce and return to the freezer for 5 minutes. During this time, remove the vanilla ice cream from the freezer to soften.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and spread a layer of vanilla ice cream over the Oreos and place back in the freezer for another 20 minutes to firm up.
- Take the pan out fo the freezer and add a final layer of salted caramel sauce over the entire dish. (It helps to drizzle it out in small sections using an offset spatula as you go to evenly spread it over the cake).
- If serving immediately, hold the parchment paper to remove the cake from the pan and cut into squares, or return the pan to freezer until ready to serve.
Serves 9-16, depending on how big you slice it! ;-)