What's your favorite part of an apple crisp? Hands down, mine is the crisp! And sometimes the apple to crisp ratio is lacking. Well that isn't the case with this inverted apple crisp! Instead of crumbling the crisp over the top of apples, I pressed it into the bottom of a springform release pan and layered the apples on top, ensuring that every bite is full of the rich crisp flavor! So instead of it being a traditional crisp, it presents more like a tart. Crisp or tart, this is the perfect make ahead dessert for your backyard bbq, dinner with friends or even save a slice to go with your morning coffee! Of course, served with a scoop of our salted caramel swirl ice cream puts it over the top in the yum category!
- 3/4 c flour
- 3/4 c quick oats
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2-3 medium firm crisp apples
- Caramel Kitchen salted caramel sauce
- ground cinnamon
- Caramel Kitchen salted caramel swirl ice cream, for serving
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Stir with a fork until it is all mixed in together evenly and no brown sugar clumps remain.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the oat mixture and stir with your fork until evenly moistened.
- Pour the oat mixture into a spring form pan and firmly press down until it makes an even layer on the bottom of the pan. (I like to use a straight sided measuring cup to help tamp in down).
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes and remove from oven, leaving the oven on.
For the filling:
- Core and slice your apples into thin wedges.
- Place a layer of the sliced apples over the top of the crisp crust.
- Gently heat 2 tablespoons of the salted caramel sauce and brush over the sliced apples and sprinkle with a little bit of ground cinnamon.
- Repeat the process with a second layer of apple slices, caramel sauce and cinnamon.
- Return the crisp to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, removing just as apples begin to brown.
- Serve warm, cold or at room temperature with an additional drizzle of salted caramel sauce and a scoop of salted caramel swirl ice cream.