It seems like most of the country is now participating in social distancing or encouraged to self quarantine for the next couple of weeks to help the spread of Covid-19. To say the least, these are some unsettling times for most. Fortunately our Costco still had a great supply of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats in stock and I knew this would be a great choice to have on hand. It easily feeds my three kids, now home from school, with each one being able to customize to their liking. One thing they all agree on is the yummy addition of our cinnamon vanilla caramel sauce. One drizzle replaces the need for any extra butter or brown sugar! We hope you enjoy
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup milk (of choice)
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- ¼ tsp salt
- Caramel Kitchen Cinnamon Vanilla Caramel Sauce
- Optional garnish…blueberries, nuts, fruit
- In a large pot, combine water and milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add oats to the pot and reduce heat to medium low, allowing to simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened.
- Stir in the salt and reduce heat as needed to prevent scorching the bottom of the pot. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes more until almost all of the moisture is gone. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Scoop oatmeal into bowls and drizzle with cinnamon vanilla caramel sauce and top with blueberries, nuts or topping of choice. Leftovers can be refrigerated and warmed up for later use!