Happy Monday! The celebrations continued at our house last week as our middle daughter turned 14. She requested her favorite cake and I was happy to oblige as it is quick and easy and everybody loves it! It's made using a boxed cake but if you have a favorite home-made chocolate cake you can absolutely substitute it. The addition of the salted caramel sweetened condensed milk poured over the cake keeps it moist and almost fudgy. We served it with a scoop of our new Salted Caramel Swirl ice cream and the birthday girl was is cake and ice cream heaven!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus the ingredients used to make it)
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 c Caramel Kitchen salted caramel sauce, plus more for garnish
- 1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed (I like to use Truwhip)
- 1/3 c heath bits
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to the directions on the box.
- Pour and bake in a 9x13 baking dish.
- While the cake is baking, in a small bowl mix together the sweetened condensed milk and 1/3 cup salted caramel sauce.
- Remove from oven and using the rounded end of a wooden spoon, poke holes evenly spread around the top of the cake.
- Pour the milk & caramel mixture over the top of the cake, making sure it gets into the holes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Evenly spread the whipped topping over the top of the entire cake.
- Drizzle the salted caramel sauce over the top of the whipped topping and sprinkle on the heath bits.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
(I have used our bourbon caramel sauce as a substitute for the salted caramel sauce and it is equally as good)!